THREE DRAWINGS TODAY

1) Match the guest authors and facts (enter by noon PST; drawing will be held at 1:00 p.m. PST).
2) Day 12 daily drawing (enter by 6:00 p.m. PST; drawing will be held immediately after).
3) Grand Prize drawing of a fully decorated Christmas tree (post a comment by 8:00 p.m. PST; drawing will be immediately after).

Friday, December 5, 2008

DAY 5 GUEST AUTHOR: CHRISTINA F. YORK

       

 Web site & blog: www.yorkwriters.com

Currently working on:  A series of mysteries for Berkley Prime Crime. The first book, SINK TRAP, will be out in September 2009 and the second, LEAD PIPE CINCH, will be released in mid-2010. Her most recent releases include WITCH HIGH and ENCHANTMENT, fantasy anthologies from DAW Books. 


A few days ago a friend of mine posted on his blog (www.deanwesleysmith.com) about goals. A short discussion on goal-setting and eating the elephant, with a promise of more discussion to come. I won’t rehash what he said here, since you can easily follow the link and read it for yourself. With nearly 100 books sold, I think he knows what he’s talking about.

But there was a line in there that spoke to me in a way I really needed. Right. This. Minute. “Don’t pretend there is time when there isn’t…”

A writing career requires setting goals and planning how to meet them. It requires time management and resource allocation, and juggling priorities.

Most of all, it means being realistic about what we can really do. Learn your limits, the demands on your time that you can’t ignore, and what things you are willing to sacrifice.

Me? Scrubbing bathrooms and dusting knick-knacks are high on that list, along with makeup, fussing with my hair, and anything that requires ironing. Time to read is absolutely not, and the end of BOSTON LEGAL (boohoo) will give me back an hour each week that I wouldn’t give up otherwise.

The new year starts in a few weeks. It’s a time when we make resolutions with all the good intentions in the world, only to see them crash and burn a few weeks later when the realities of the world force us to stop pretending there’s time when there isn’t.

Between now and then, think about what your priorities are. What you can give up and what you can’t. What things are really important to you. Then, when you make your resolutions for the next year, be realistic.

Who knows? If you stop pretending, you might find yourself succeeding instead!


Bonus: A short (less than 1000 words) Christmas story from Christina F. York. To download FUDFIGHT, click here

7 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Welcome, Chris! And thank you so much for being our guest author today.

I made this comment earlier to you: You must have peeked inside my head and knew I needed this piece of advice also: "Don't pretend there is time when there isn't..."

I thought I was the queen of overcommitment, but perhaps I'll have to share the crown. I am getting more realistic about taking on additional projects, but I still woefully underestimate the time it will take to accomplish them. Because I want to do it all! LOL!

I like Chris' ideas of thinking about what you can't ignore and what you are willing to sacrifice. Now I'm going to read Dean Wesley Smith's blog and hope he has some additional suggestions to overcome this malady. Thanks for the tips, Chris--I think!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me here, Genene! Being buried in deadlines (*someone* wasn't very realistic about what she agreed to!), this is a nice break.

Yes, you will have to share that crown. There is a reason I live in a remote small town without an RWA chapter, or a facility that could host a large conference. I never found a volunteer job that didn't speak to me. Putting serious deadlines into that mix has made me learn to say "No."

I hope everyone enjoys my silly story. It also appeared in "One Evening A Year," an anthology of holiday stories from our once-a-year holiday read-aloud.


Questions? Anyone?

Again, thanks for the invitation!

Chris York

Anonymous said...

Hi Christina,

Thanks for the Holiday tale. Very cute, and by the end of the story Bones certainly wasn't bones anymore.

I agree setting goals that are reachable makes more sense than setting yourself up for failure.

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Donna

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Donna! So glad to have you drop by!

And, Chris, hope you are making progress on your deadlines.

Dream big and realistic goals seem contradictory on the surface. And I just can't get too enthusiastic about eating an elephant. However, I could go for an elephant-sized cheesecake or chocolate cake or something else sinfully delicious. :)

Chris, once again, thank you so much for hanging out. And for the very cute story. May all the rest of your deadlines be realistic ones!

Alice Sharpe said...

Chris, I enjoyed your Christmas story! Very clever, esp. Bones. What dog wouldn't remember a Christmas like that one?

Julie Robinson said...

Chris, Thanks for the free story. It was cute.

Also thanks for the goal setting link. I am terrible at over committing myself, so it's just what I need for the new year. Julie

Julie Robinson said...

Chris, Also enjoyed your discussion. Excellent questions to ask myself! Julie